Guiding Pedagogical Principles
1. Students understand and internalise our values, the knowledge and skills that instill respect for human rights, social justice, diversity, and equality.
Our education empowers learners to be responsible citizens of the world by supporting their rights and obligations to promote a better world and future for all.
Our education is based on European traditions of Enlightenment and Humanism: Reflective and critical thinking is essential, to help students develop their independent and autonomous personalities.
Therefore, inclusion is an essential element of our pedagogical programme. It is seen as a general principle of thinking and acting that demonstrates universal acceptance and promotes a sense of belonging for all learners.
2. In curricula and social contexts we offer quality education on sustainable development. Knowledge, skills, values and behaviours are driven to raise awareness of the need to end poverty, protect the planet and ensure prosperity for all as part of the 2030 Agenda of Global Goals for Sustainable Development.
3. Highly qualified German and international educators provide a multifaceted student-centered academic programme in a caring and supportive learning environment. GESM is a place of belonging, where everyone is accepted and supported, by peers and other members of the school community.
Parallel to our education, our community advocates healthy lifestyles by promoting physical, social and mental well-being.
4. Our school community of parents, students, teachers, and staff lives the values of Eurocampus through intercultural understanding and cooperation.
Established as a direct consequence of post war French-German reconciliation laid down in the Élysée Treaty, Eurocampus is a living symbol for lasting peace and mutual understanding between all nations.
Eurocampus also stands for cultures, traditions, values and languages we want our students to learn, especially those of Germany and Europe, and the Philippines, our host country.
5. We are a school in the German and European tradition, with particular emphasis on language acquisition as an essential tool for global citizens.
English, German, French and Filipino are the main languages on our campus and in our school community, reflecting our multicultural mix.
6. The German language has a central position in both the International and German Sections, either as a foreign or first language respectively. Learning German enables all our students to access a university in Germany, in German speaking countries or other countries across the world.
In addition to that, GESM is a German School Abroad that offers education in the German Section according to German standards and curricula.
7. As life-long learners, teachers are open-minded professional role models, who value knowledge and understanding related to education. All teachers welcome continuous professional development in both formal and informal settings. GESM strives to recruit, develop and retain highly qualified and motivated staff.
8. OUR VALUES
Integrity signifies being an authentic person, consistent in one’s behavior and views, reflective, living up to one’s values.
Respect is understood as treating others and oneself with dignity, being aware of differences.
Compassion implies empathy for others, and the attitude to understand, help and support.
Independence refers to being capable to judge, decide and act on inner convictions, values, reason and facts.
Responsibility defines as taking ownership of one’s thoughts, words, actions and views; being accountable, dependable and trustworthy.
mgabel 6th Sept 2019